Skip To Content

You are here:  Academics > Study Abroad

Where to Begin

Students interested in studying abroad must attend a study abroad information session, the Information schedule is as follows: 

SP14 Study Abroad Information Sessions will be held in Lancer Arms 39
   January 22 at 10:00-11:00am and 11:00-12:00pm
   January 23 at 4:00-5:00pm
   February 26 at 10:00-11:00am and 11:00-12:00pm
   February 27 at 4:00-5:00pm
   March 26 at 10:00-11:00am and 11:00-12:00pm
   March 27 at 4:00-5:00pm
April 23 at 10:00-11:00am and 11:00-12:00pm
No Information Sessions 

Show & Tell Sessions will be held in the Copenbarger:
   March 5 at 6:00-8:00pm 

Road Map


Each program (Provided by 3rd party vendors) sets its own GPA, language, and class requirement(s).  However, CBU will not approve a student to study abroad until they have completed one academic year at CBU.

Program Cost and Financial Aid

CBU passes on the direct cost of the Study Abroad program selected in addition to a $280 Study Abroad processing fee.  Students who are approved for study abroad will be registered for a full-time course load through CBU and financial aid will be awarded accordingly.  In some cases, not all financial aid is able to be applied to study abroad – it depends on the funding source and their requirements.  Usually loans and government aid can be applied to study abroad.  Institutional Aid (CBU scholarships/grants) can NOT be used to study abroad.  Expenses not covered by available financial aid are the responsibility of the student.

Before Departure

If you have not already made contact with the Financial Aid Office to complete your financial aid and the Student Accounts Office to complete payment arrangements and financial clearance, you should do so at the earliest opportunity but no later than before the financial clearance deadline and your departure date.

During Your Study Abroad

It is important you continue to check your LancerMail ( e-mail address for important communications from the University while you are abroad. 
If upon arrival at your study abroad destination you are required to enroll in coursework not already approved by CaliforniaBaptistUniversity, you should make contact with the Office of the Registrar immediately so we can review the coursework for transferability and applicability to CBU requirements.
During your semester abroad, registration for the next semester will begin. Specific information about when you may begin registering for classes on the web will be sent to your LancerMail. If you have difficulties registering on the web, please contact Academic Advising for assistance on completing your registration at; (800) 782-3382 x4567 or (951) 343-4567.  
Dr. Jeff Barnes
Dean of Academic Services
Lancer Arms 39
Megan Rea
Receptionist for the Provost's Office
Fax 951.343.4572
Study Abroad Petition Form
Study Abroad Petition (.docx, 19K)
Students  must be accepted into the study abroad program before completing petition and also submit the petition at a minimum of 6 weeks prior to departure.
Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view and print PDF files.

Academic Credit and Degree Information

Academic Credit
  • Granted and approved by the Registrar's Office. Please contact Sam Cannon for questions regarding the transferability of study abroad coursework or to make an appointment.
  • A petition is not necessary to review coursework, but is required before the Office of the Registrar can register you for classes.  Petitions are available in Dr. Jeff Barnes Office (James Building 201) and must be processed prior to the trip's departure for all students.
  • Before meeting with the Office of the Registrar, please have ready information about the institution you wish to study with and course descriptions of the possible courses you wish to take. 
  • Generally, study abroad coursework is used to meet general education and elective unit requirements. We encourage all CBU students to complete their major/minor requirements here at California Baptist University.
  • A maximum of 18 units per semester may be earned for academic credit.
Impact on Degree Plan
  • Please visit the Enrollment Advising Office if you have questions about how study abroad may affect your planned graduation date.

...You can complete your Study Abroad/Non-U.S. History Requirement!!