Skip To Content

You are here:  Academics > Graduation
Q: When should I apply for graduation?
A: The sooner the better! You will want to apply for the graduation cycle during which you will have all requirements complete. We begin accepting applications for the following graduation cycle beginning in March and we accept the applications right on up to the posting date.
Q: I'm not participating in the ceremony, do I still need to apply?
A: YES! You are applying to post your degree. In order to pick up your diploma you must apply for graduation!
Q: I want to walk in the May ceremony and post my degree in December. Can I do this?
A: Yes. You will apply for the December posting date and the May ceremony. You must submit your application before the December deadline to avoid a late fee. If you are posting your degree in August, you must walk in the May ceremony.
Q: I've already walked in a ceremony, but I didn't post my degree. Do I need to reapply if I'm not walking in another ceremony?
A: Yes, the application is for posting your degree.
Q: My application has been denied. What do I do?
A: Your application was denied because there were too many outstanding requirements that were unaccounted for. Please send an email to your Transcript and Records Analyst who completed your evaluation and explain how every outstanding requirement will be completed by your intended posting date. Our office will then re-evaluate your file for graduation.
Q: If I finish my degree mid-semester, when will my degree post?
A: CBU has three posting dates during a graduation cycle and degrees are only posted on those dates. As long as you have applied for graduation, your degree will post on the next posting date following the completion of your coursework.
Q: I have 6.0 units outstanding after the spring semester. Can I still walk in the May ceremony?
A: There is no minimum outstanding unit requirement to participate in the ceremony. You just need to show our office that you will be completing all outstanding degree requirements by the final posting date of the graduation cycle.
Q: When will my graduation fee be billed to my Student Account?
A: Your fee will be billed after the application deadline.
Q: I do not plan on walking in a ceremony. Will the $175 graduation fee still be billed to my Student Account?
A: Yes. The fee is the same for every student regardless of whether or not he/she decides to walk in a ceremony.
Q: I am filling out my graduation application and it asks for my outstanding coursework. What should I put there?
A: Please list any courses that you are not currently enrolled in at CBU that you need to take to finish up your degree requirements. This includes any courses to be transferred from another institution.
Q: Can I fax my graduation application to the Office of the Registrar?
A: Yes, you can fax your graduation application. Please make sure that you sign your application before faxing. After you have faxed the application, please call or email the Office of the Registrar to confirm your application has been received.
Q: Do I have to put my full legal name on my diploma?
No. You can choose to include your middle name or maiden name.
Q: When will my diploma be available?
A: For December and August graduates, diplomas are available approximately 2-3 months after the posting date. For May graduates, diplomas are available after the ceremony for pick up.
Q: Am I able to order a second diploma?
A: A reorder of a diploma can only be made if you have lost the original. If you would like a second copy made with a new last name then the original must be surrendered to our office.
Q: I'm taking courses at another insitution. When do my official transcripts need to be received by CBU?
A: Transcripts need to received in the Enrollment Services Office by the 4th Friday after the posting date.
Q: What are the honors societies listed on the graduation application?
A: Alpha Chi is reserved for the top academic students in each graduating class. Please contact the Academic Services Office for more information. KME or Kappa Mu Epsilon is reserved for the top students in mathematics. Please contact the Department of Natural and Mathematical Sciences for additional information. For the Honors Program please contact the College of Arts and Sciences or email