Skip To Content


NEW users - create an account

STUDENT                  PARENT

RETURNING users - login

STUDENT                 PARENT

If you are having issues logging in or creating an account for "Verify My FAFSA," please contact the Financial Aid Office at 951-343-4236 or at

This website is not supported by Internet Explorer. Use a different web browser.

The Priority Deadline for all missing documents is June 15th.

Please Note: Documents will still be accepted after this date, however, the Financial Aid Office cannot guarantee that verification will be complete before the Payment Due Date. Our office encourages you to make arrangements with Student Accounts if you are unable to submit all your required documents before the June 15th deadline. 

Institutional Aid


Award amounts listed are for students enrolling for the first time at California Baptist University in fall 2017. Please refer to previous catalogs for scholarship/grant awarding information for enrollment that began prior to fall 2017.


Trustee Scholarship - $13,500
4.0 GPA and above / 1200 SAT or 25 ACT; Maintenance GPA: 3.5

Presidential Scholarship - $12,500
3.75 - 3.99 GPA / 1100 SAT or 24 ACT; Maintenance GPA: 3.2

Dean Scholarship - $11,500
3.3 - 3.74 GPA / 1020 SAT or 21 ACT; Maintenance GPA: 3.0

Director Scholarship - $7,500
3.0 - 3.2 GPA / 990 SAT or 19 ACT; Maintenance GPA: 2.75

SAT scores listed are based on critical reading/math only. These scholarships are guaranteed if academic requirements are met. Renewable if the minimum maintenance GPA is maintained.


Transfer Gold - $9,500
3.5 GPA and above; Maintenance GPA: 3.2

Transfer Blue - $7,500
3.3 - 3.49 GPA; Maintenance GPA: 2.75

To be considered a transfer student you must have completed 24 or more units from a regionally accredited college or university. Renewable if the minimum maintenance GPA is maintained.


Must be declared major and or minor:

  • Bachelors of Applied Theology (BAT) Scholarship 951-343-4248
  • Engineering Scholarship 951-343-4972
  • Graphic Design, Visual Art & Architecture 951-552-8733
  • Journalism Scholarship 951-343-4964
  • Construction Management 951-343-4972

Active participation required:

  • Athletic Scholarship 951-343-4318
  • Theater Scholarship 951-343-4319
  • Music Scholarship 951-343-4251
  • Speech/Debate Scholarship 951-343-4964

Returning students only:

  • College of Health Science Scholarship 951-343-4619
  • 2017-2018 Donor Scholarship Application Applications must be completed and submitted online by midnight on April 30, 2017. Scholarships will be awarded in June. You will be notified if you are a recipient via your Lancermail. You may also log into your account to check your status. 


CBU Grant - up to $4,000 per year Based on financial need as determined by the FAFSA.

Ministers Kin Scholarship - up to $3,250 per year As determined by the Undergraduate Admissions office. 

Multi-Sibling Scholarship - $2,000 per year For families with two or more dependent siblings enrolled in CBU’s Traditional Undergraduate Program.

CBU Cal Grant B Assistance - $7,428 for the first year Only available to students who qualify for Cal Grant B.

State Aid

CAL GRANT - up to $9,726/year*

Deadline is March 2, 2017.  See image below with complete instructions.

1. Need to have FAFSA on file

2. Complete the GPA Verification Form

Your High School or current college will complete/submit the bottom portion, see or call 1-888-224-7268 for more details

*Award amount depends on the program for which you qualify (Cal Grant A or Cal Grant B) as well as the specific year of your initial award.  All Cal Grant offers will be set at $8,056/year but is subject to change based on state funding, enrollment/class status.

For more information on Cal Grant, click here or create an account here


Deadline is March 2, 2017

If you meet AB540 requirements, submit a CA Dream Act Application to determine if you qualify for the Cal Grant (amounts listed in the Cal Grant section above).

1. Submit the Dream Act Application

2. Complete the GPA Verification Form

Your High School or current college will complete/submit the bottom portion, see or call 1-888-224-7268 for more details

Award amount depends on the program for which you qualify (Cal Grant A or Cal Grant B) as well as the specific year of your initial award.  All Cal Grant offers will be set at $8,056/year but is subject to change based on state funding, enrollment/class status.

For more information on Dream Act, click here or see the FAQ 

CHAFEE GRANT - up to $5,000/year

Designed for students who are or were in Foster Care. 

1. Must have 2017/2018 FAFSA on file

2. Complete the Chafee Grant Application

3. Meet the state requirements - click here to determine your eligibility or review the Chafee Fact Sheet


CAL G8 Form 'High School Certification'- Designed for students coming out of High School

CAL G6 Form 'Entitlement Transfer' - Designed for students transferring from a community college

As a new recipient of CAL Grant, each student must complete one of the forms. Create or log into here to complete the G8 or G6 form online. 

Note: If you need to complete the G8 Form, be sure to complete it after you graduate from High School (it does not have a March 2nd deadline)  

Federal Aid


Must have a FAFSA on file and be a first-degree seeking student. Based on enrollment status and financial need - as determined by the FAFSA. Award is up to $5,920/year. 

For more information on Pell Grant, click here.


Must have a FAFSA on file. Priority in awarding is given to incoming students with the highest need ($0 EFC). Award up to $1,000/year. Funds are limited.

For more information on the FSEOG, click here.

Private Scholarships

Receiving outside scholarship or grants is a great way to reduce your balance or the amount of loans you borrow in college. Make sure scholarship information and offers you receive are legitimate; and remember that you don't have to pay to find scholarships or other financial aid. Check out Federal Student Aid's information on how to avoid scams.


Please consider the following sources:

    • a high school counselor
    • your library’s reference section
    • foundations, religious or community organizations, local businesses, or civic groups
    • organizations (including professional associations) related to your field of interest
    • ethnicity-based organizations
    • your employer or your parents’ employers

Also check out the following document for more information: Scholarship Helpful Hints

Check out iGrad - a new site for all students (Undergrad/OPS/Graduate) to improve their money management, career and student loan skills, financial lessons, and more!

If you are interested in Study Abroad you will first want to attend an information session.  For more information about Study Abroad click here

Only state, federal and private aid will be available - no institutional aid will be provided (CBU Grant, MKIN, merit scholarships, etc). Examples of aid that can be used towards Study Abroad: CAL Grant, Pell Grant, sub/unsub loans, PLUS Loan, and private loans.

Withdrawal from the university (all classes) during any semester, whether official or unofficial, may require the return of federal and state financial aid and state financial aid, and the reduction or loss of some institutional aid. 

A calculation will be performed to determine the amount, if any, of the Title IV aid (Pell Grant, FSEOG, Direct Loans, Perkins Loans, PLUS Loans) earned by the student for the days in which he/she attended, up to the date of withdrawal. The student is responsible for any balance owed to the university.

In order to complete an official withdrawal, a student needs to complete a Petition to Withdraw available in Enrollment Services. Ceasing to attend class without proper notification to the university will result in an unofficial withdrawal. A calculation will still be performed to determine aid earned and some aid may be returned.

More details can be found here

There was an error fetching the available financial aid.
You are not authorized to use this portlet; It is only available to users in certain roles within the portal.
Office Information
Hours: Monday - Thursday 8:00 am to 6:00 pm; Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
Address: Financial Aid Office - 8432 Magnolia Ave, Riverside, CA. 92504
Phone: 951-343-4236
Please call the office to schedule an appointment so we can best serve you.
The Financial Aid Office is located in the Horn Academic Wing of the Eugene and Billie Yeager Center, in room B117.
You may scan your documents and email them to
Please Direct Your General Financial Aid Questions to: Financial Aid Office
Financial Aid Advisors   
Jeffrey Kiefer
Scott Liddell
Financial Aid Counselors
Counselor, Athletes and Faculty/Staff Waivers
Daley Roche
Counselor, Traditional Students - A-C, & Aviation
Counselor, Traditional Students - D-H
Counselor, Traditional Students - I-M
Counselor, Traditional Students - N-Sm
Counselor, Traditional Students - Sn-U
Assistant Director of Traditional Undergraduate Program - V-Z

FAFSA - Free Application for Federal Student Aid

The FAFSA is required for state, federal, and some institutional aid.  You need to complete a new/renewal FAFSA each academic year. 2017/2018 FAFSA is valid for Fall 2017 - Summer 2018 at CBU.  To fill out the FAFSA, you will need both the parents and students demographic & financial information.

The FAFSA will produce an EFC (Expected Family Contribution) number. Your EFC is not the amount of money your family will have to pay for college, nor is it the amount of federal student aid you will receive. It is a number used by CBU to calculate how much financial aid you are eligible to receive.

If you are selected for verification, you will need to submit additional demographic & financial information to CBU.  This will be done through "Verify My FAFSA" online. Verification is intended to improve the accuracy of the information submitted on the FAFSA.

NEW FOR 2017/2018 - Click on Early FAFSA tab

Click Here to complete the FAFSA

Click Here for more information on the EFC

Click Here to complete verification online

1. Financial Aid Overview

2. Financial Aid Myths

3. Dependent vs. Independent

Federal Loans


Federal Direct loans are offered to undergraduate students at a low fixed interest rate. Students must be enrolled at least half time (6 units) to be eligible. Repayment begins six months after the student leaves school or drops below half-time status. Students must complete Entrance Counseling and a Master Promissory Note before they can receive their first disbursement (see section below).

The Federal Direct Loan Program offers the following types of loans: 

Subsidized: for students who demonstrate financial need, as determined by the FAFSA. No interest is charged while a student is in school at least half-time, during the grace period, and during deferment periods.

Unsubsidized: not based on financial need; interest is charged during all periods, even during the time a student is in school and during grace and deferment periods. Student needs to complete the FAFSA.

PLUS: Loans for parents of dependent students. PLUS loans help pay for education expenses up to the cost of attendance minus all other financial assistance. Interest is charged during all periods. To apply for the Parent PLUS loan, one parent needs to log in to complete the application process. The parent also needs to complete a Master Promissory Note on the same website. Repayment begins within 60 days of the loan being fully disbursed, unless the borrower chooses to defer payments. For full details, refer to the loan application. 

Click here for more information about Federal Loans 
Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loans - 4.45% (Fixed - valid July 1, 2017 to June 30, 2018)
Parent PLUS Loan - 7% (Fixed - valid July 1, 2017 to June 30, 2018)
A loan fee (or origination fee) is an expense of borrowing a Federal Direct Loan (Sub/Unsub/PLUS). It is the percentage of the amount of each loan the borrower receives and is subtracted proportionately from each disbursement. Federal Direct Loan originated/disbursed on 10/01/2016 to 09/30/2017, the following loan fees will be applied:

Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loans   – 1.069% (10/01/2016 to 09/30/2017) Current Fees

Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loans   – 1.066% (10/01/2017 to 09/30/2018) 

Parent PLUS Loan    –  4.276% (10/01/2016 to 09/30/2017) Current Fees

Parent PLUS Loan    –  4.264% (10/01/2017 to 09/30/2018) 

Example: $5,500 loan for the 2017/2018 school year:

FA17 Disbursement     $2,750 x 1.069%         = $2,721

SP18 Disbursement     $2,750 x 1.069%         = $2,721

Total Received                                                = $5,442



                                              Dependent Students*      Independent Students

Freshman (0-29 units)         $5,500 ($3,500 sub)           $9,500 ($3,500 sub)

Sophomore (30-59 units)    $6,500 ($4,500 sub)          $10,500 ($4,500 sub)

Junior (60-89 units)             $7,500 ($5,500 sub)           $12,500 ($5,500 sub)

Senior (90+ units)               $7,500 ($5,500 sub)           $12,500 ($5,500 sub)

Total                                      $31,000 ($23,000 sub)    $57,500 ($23,000 sub) 

Amount in parenthesis represents the maximum amount of subsidized loan a student is eligible to receive. Amounts can vary, depending on financial need as determined by the FAFSA. The remaining amount is offered in the form of a Direct Unsubsidized Loan. 

*Dependent students whose parents cannot get approved for the Direct Parent PLUS will receive an additional $4,000/yr Unsubsidized loan Freshman/Sophomore or $5,000 for Junior/Seniors . These additional amounts cannot exceed the independent aggregate limit
All first time borrowers are required to complete a Master Promissory Note and Entrance Counseling. Loans will not be processed if documents are missing.
Master Promissory Note: legal agreement between the borrow and lender to repay the loans
Click Here to complete
Click Here for more information
Entrance Counseling: interactive session that shows your rights and responsibilities as a loan borrower
Click Here to complete
Click Here for more information
Exit Counseling is required when you graduate, leave school, or drop below half-time enrollment. Exit counseling reviews the borrower's rights and responsibilities, important information needed to repay your federal student loan(s).
Click Here to complete
The Parent PLUS loan is available to parents of dependent students (as determined by the FAFSA).  It can be used to help pay for any remaining educational expenses.
Interest Rate - 7% (07/01/2017 to 06/30/2018) 
Loan Fees - 4.276% (10/01/2016 to 09/30/2017) Current Fees
Loan Fees - 4.264% (10/01/2017 to 09/30/2018) 
To be eligible for the Parent PLUS loan, the borrower:
1. Must not have adverse credit history, or
2. Has an adverse credit history but has obtained an endorser who does not have and adverse credit history and completes PLUS Loan Counseling offered by the Dept. of ED, or 
3. Has an adverse credit history but documents to the satisfaction of the Dept. of ED that extenuation circumstances exist and completes PLUS Loan Counseling offered by the Dept. of ED.
Click Here to complete the PLUS Application or PLUS Counseling (parent needs to log in)

Click Here for more information

**We are now accepting applications for the 17/18 School Year**

Private Loans


Private loans are available to students who do not qualify for Federal loans or need additional aid.  The following link has a list of lenders that have provided excellent customer service and benefits designed to meet the needs of students. 

Please visit each lenders website to learn more about their features and benefits. 

Click Here for CBU's established lenders

Check out the competitive rates compared to the Federal PLUS Loan.

**We are now accepting applications for the 1718 School Year**

Loan FAQs

What is the difference between a subsidized Stafford and an unsubsidized Stafford loan?

The federal government pays the interest on a subsidized loan for you while you are in school. However, the interest on an unsubsidized loan will accrue while you are in school.
Do I have to pay the interest on an unsubsidized Stafford loan while I am in school?
No, you do not have to pay any interest while you are in school. However, you may choose to make payments in an effort to keep the interest down. When you leave school, the accrued interest on the unsubsidized loans will be capitalized (added to the principal). You will then pay interest on the interest that has been capitalized.
Why didn’t I receive a subsidized Stafford loan?
Your eligibility for a subsidized Stafford loan is determined by the results of the FAFSA. The calculation also includes any other grants or scholarships that you may receive.
Why don't I see my loans posted to my account on my expected disbursement date?
The Department of Education authorizes loan delivery approximately two business days after the expected loan disbursement. If you are a first time borrower, please insure you have completed a MPN and Entrance Counseling with Loans are certified once all documents have been received and reviewed. 
How soon can I expect a refund?
If your loans create a credit balance, contact Student Accounts to see when they send out refund checks.