Federal Stafford loans are offered to undergraduate students at a low fixed interest rate. Students must be enrolled at least half time (6 units) to be eligible. Repayment begins six months after the student leaves school or drops below half-time status. Students must complete Entrance Counseling and a Master Promissory Note before they can receive their first disbursement (See section below).
The Federal Direct Loan Program offers the following types of loans:
- Subsidized: for students who demonstrate financial need, as determined by federal regulations (FAFSA). No interest is charged while a student is in school at least half-time, during the grace period, and during deferment periods. The Subsidized loan MUST be accepted in full before accepting the Unsubsidized loan.
- Unsubsidized: not based on financial need; interest is charged during all periods, even during the time a student is in school and during grace and deferment periods. Student needs to have a FAFSA on file.
- PLUS: Loans for the parents of dependent students. PLUS loans help pay for education expenses up to the cost of attendance minus all other financial assistance. Interest is charged during all periods. To apply for the Parent PLUS loan, one parent needs to log in to complete the application process. The parent also needs to complete a Master Promissory Note on the same website.
Click here for more information about Federal Direct Loans
Current Interest Rates:
Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loans - 4.45% (Fixed - valid July 1, 2017 to June 30, 2018)
Parent PLUS Loan - 7% (Fixed - valid July 1, 2017 to June 30, 2018)
A loan fee (or origination fee) is an expense of borrowing a Federal Direct Loan (sub/unsub/PLUS). It is the percentage of the amount of each loan the borrower receives and is subtracted proportionately from each disbursement. Federal Direct Loans originated/disbursed on 10/1/2017 to 9/30/2018, the following loan fees will be applied:
Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loans – 1.066% (10/1/2017 to 09/30/2018)
Parent PLUS Loan – 4.264% (10/1/2017 to 09/30/2018)
Example: $5,500 loan for the 2017/2018 school year:
FA16 Disbursement - $2,750 x 1.066% = $2,721
SP17 Disbursement - $2,750 x 1.066% = $2,721
Total Received - = $5,442
Undergraduate Loan Limits
Dependent Students* Independent Students
Freshman (0-29 units) $5,500 ($3,500 sub) $9,500 ($3,500 sub)
Sophomore (30-59 units) $6,500 ($4,500 sub) $10,500 ($4,500 sub)
Junior (60-89 units) $7,500 ($5,500 sub) $12,500 ($5,500 sub)
Senior (90+ units) $7,500 ($5,500 sub) $12,500 ($5,500 sub)
Total $31,000 ($23,000 sub) $57,500 ($23,000 sub)
*Parent PLUS denials will allow an addition $4,000 of Unsubsidized loan (Freshman/Sophomore) and an additional $5,000 for Junior and Seniors - cannot exceed Independent aggregate limit.
Graduate Loan Limits
Graduate Total = $138,500
This includes undergraduate federal loans.
Entrance Counseling & Master Promissory Note
Both are required for first time loan borrowers
Entrance Counseling - Is an interactive session that shows your rights and responsibilities as a loan borrower
Master Promissory Note - Is a legal agreement between the borrow and lender to repay the loans
Exit counseling is required when you graduate, leave school, or drop below half-time enrollment. Exit counseling provides important information you need to prepare to repay your federal student loan(s)
Click Here to complete
Parent PLUS Loan
The Parent PLUS loan is available to parents of dependent students (as determined by the FAFSA). It can be used to help pay for any remaining educational expenses.
Interest Rate - 7% (07/01/2017 to 06/30/2018)
Loan Fees - 4.264% (10/01/2017 to 09/30/2018)
To be eligible for the Parent PLUS loan, the borrower:
- Does not have adverse credit history, or
- Has an adverse credit history but has obtained an endorser who does not have and adverse credit history and completes PLUS Loan Counseling offered by the Dept. of ED, or
- Has an adverse credit history but documents to the satisfaction of the Dept. of ED that extenuation circumstances exist and completes PLUS Loan Counseling offered by the Dept. of ED.
Click Here to complete the PLUS Application or PLUS Counseling (parent's FSA# is needed to log in)
Click Here for more information
**We are now accepting PLUS Applications for the 2017/2018 school year **
**Parent PLUS Loans for the 2018/2019 award year will be available on May 1, 2018**