Federal Perkins Loan recipients may be eligible for periods of deferment, during which interest does not accrue and repayment of principal is not required.  For more information about deferment, forbearance and cancellation benefits contact ECSI at 1-888-549-3274.

Economic Hardship or Forbearance

Students experiencing financial difficulties and who are not able to make monthly payments, may be eligible for an economic hardship or forbearance deferment.  The economic hardship and forbearance deferment are for principal only and following the deferment no grace period is provided.  Contact ECSI at 1-888-549-3274 to request an economic hardship or forbearance deferment.

In-School Deferment

Students enrolled at least half-time at another college or university, are eligible for an In-School Deferment.  Following the deferment a 6-month grace period is provided.  You must file a Request for Deferment of Repayment form for benefits.  Sign the form and have it certified by an appropriate official.  Include additional required documentation if needed and submit to ECSI.
Students enrolled at California Baptist University are not required to submit the deferment form each semester.  The Title IV Funds Coordinator will verify enrollment and process the deferment on the student's behalf.
Some students may have the opportunity to cancel all or part of their loan for certain types of employment or service.
If you expect to be eligible for any cancellation listed, you should apply for deferment of your account during your year of qualifying service/employment.  This process delays billing until the end of the year, when your payments will be cancelled.  To apply, complete a Request for Deferment Prior to Cancellation form and return it to ECSI.
To receive cancellation benefits, you must file a Request for Cancellation Benefit form at the end of your eligible year.  If you defer payments for service/employment, the cancellation form will be sent to you automatically.

Employment/Service Areas

  • Nurse Medical Technician
  • Head Start Employment
  • Teacher (low-income schools, teaching special education, shortage areas)
  • Providers of early intervention services and services to high-risk students
  • Law Enforcement/Correctional Officer
  • Peace Corps
  • Military (serving in area of hostility)
  • Other

Contact ECSI for more details.

CBU Perkins Coordinator

Title IV Funds Coordinator
Phone: (951) 343-4406
Fax: (951) 552-8674
Address: 8432 Magnolia Avenue, Riverside, CA 92504
The Student Accounts Office is located in Lancer Arms 42
Title IV Funds Coordinator Office Hours
Monday - Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm or by appointment.


Phone: 1-888-549-3274
Website: www.heartlandecsi.com
Address: PO Box 718, Wexford, PA 15090-0718

Office Hours
7:30 am – 9:00 pm Eastern Standard