ITS Department – Email Phishing Alert
September 5, 2018
The Department of Education and the Office of Federal Student Aid are warning of an active phishing campaign targeting student email accounts.
Students are encouraged to verify email security notices by navigating the announcements portal on InsideCBU (the university portal).
Students who receive phishing emails are encouraged to report them to email@example.com.
TO PROTECT YOUR ACCOUNTS AND INFORMATION
- Never click on links or open suspicious attachments, especially those that seem to come from a friend or colleague that you are not expecting. Verify they are legitimate before opening.
- Avoid forwarding/responding to phishing, spoof, or spam emails. Responding validates your email address and more spam will be sent later.
- Never respond to requests for your username, password, or any personal/financial information, particularly those which arrive via email.
Contact the IT Help Desk at 951-343-4444 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- Phishing – emails which ask for personal or financial information
- Spoof – emails that seem to come from a friend, colleague, or company with whom you do business
- Spam – solicitations, advertisements, or junk email
Remember that CBU will NEVER ask for personal information via email.