Skip To Content

You are here:  Financial Aid > Graduate

There is no content in this portlet.

Institutional Aid

CBU Grants and Scholarships

Department Scholarships - Please contact each department for more details.

  • College of Allied Health Scholarships for returning students - 951-343-4619 
  • Music Scholarship - 951-343-4251

Lancer Loyalty Grant for CBU Alums - Click here for details

Preferred Partner Scholarships - Click here for details


Private Scholarships

 Need options for private scholarships?

Click here to visit the scholarship page!

Receiving outside scholarship or grants is a great way reduce your balance or the amount of loans you take out in college. Make sure scholarship information and offers you receive are legitimate; and remember that you don't have to pay to find scholarships or other financial aid. Check out Federal Student Aid's information on how to avoid scams.

Try these free sources of information about scholarships:

    • a high school or TRIO counselor
    • your library’s reference section
    • foundations, religious or community organizations, local businesses, or civic groups
    • organizations (including professional associations) related to your field of interest
    • ethnicity-based organizations
    • your employer or your parents’ employers

Also check out the following document for more information: Scholarship Helpful Hints

Sallie Mae offers a scholarship search engine as well as a monthly drawing for $1,000. Find out more here:




Returning students only:

  • 2019-2020 Donor Scholarship Application Applications must be completed and submitted online by midnight on April 30, 2018. Scholarships will be awarded in June. You will be notified if you are a recipient via your Lancermail. You may also log into your account to check your status. 

Federal Loans

Federal Stafford loans are offered to graduate students at a low fixed interest rate. Students must be enrolled at least half time (6 units) to be eligible. Repayment begins six months after the student leaves school or drops below half-time status. Students must complete Entrance Counseling and a Master Promissory Note before they can receive their first disbursement (See section below).

  The Federal Direct Loan Program offers the following types of loans to graduate students: 
    • Unsubsidized: not based on financial need; interest is charged during all periods, even during the time a student is in school and during grace and deferment periods. Student needs to have a FAFSA on file.
    • Grad PLUS: Loans for graduate students. Grad PLUS loans help pay for education expenses up to the cost of attendance minus all other financial assistance. Interest is charged during all periods. To apply for the Graduate PLUS loan, log into to complete the application process. The student also needs to complete a PLUS Loan Master Promissory Note on the same website. (More info below.)
Click here for more information about Federal Loans 
Current Interest Rates:
Graduate/Professional Unsubsidized Loans - 6.60% (Fixed - valid July 1, 2018 to June 30, 2019)
*Upcoming Interest Rate for Graduate/Professional Unsubsidized Loans - 6.08% (Fixed - valid July 1, 2019 to June 30, 2020)
Grad PLUS Loan - 7.60% (Fixed - valid July 1, 2018 to June 30, 2019)
*Upcoming Interest Rate for Grad PLUS Loans - 7.08% (Fixed - valid July 1, 2019 to June 30, 2020)
Loan Fees 

A loan fee (or origination fee) is an expense of borrowing a Federal Loan (sub/unsub/PLUS). It is the percentage of the amount of each loan the borrower receives and is subtracted proportionately from each disbursement. Federal Loan originated/disbursed on 10/1/2018 to 9/30/2019, the following loan fees will be applied:

Unsubsidized Loans      – 1.062% (10/01/2018 to 09/30/2019)

Grad PLUS Loan            – 4.248% (10/01/2018 to 09/30/2019)

Example: $20,500 Unsubsidized loan for the 2018/2019 school year:

FA18 Disbursement -   $6,834 less 1.062%         = $6,761

SP19 Disbursement -   $6,833 less 1.062%         = $6,760

SU19 Disbursement -   $6,833 less 1.062%        = $6,760

Total Received -                                                 = $20,284


Loan Limits                                                               

Graduate Total = $138,500

This includes undergraduate federal loans.

Entrance Counseling & Master Promissory Note
Both are required for first time loan borrowers and also required for first time GRAD PLUS Loan borrowers.
Entrance Counseling - an interactive session that shows your rights and responsibilities as a loan borrower.
Click Here to complete
Click Here for more information


Master Promissory Note - a legal agreement between the borrow and lender to repay the loans.
Click Here to complete
Click Here for more information
Exit Counseling
Exit counseling is required when you graduate, leave school, or drop below half-time enrollment. Exit counseling provides important information you need to prepare to repay your federal student loan(s).
Click Here to complete

The GRAD PLUS loan is available to graduate students who need additional loans outside their Unsubsidized loans (FAFSA required). It can be used to help pay for any remaining educational expenses.  
To be eligible for the GRAD PLUS loan, the borrower:
    • Does not have adverse credit history, or
    • Has an adverse credit history but has obtained an endorser who does not have and adverse credit history and completes PLUS Loan Counseling offered by the Dept. of ED, or
    • Has an adverse credit history but documents to the satisfaction of the Dept. of ED that extenuation circumstances exist and completes PLUS Loan Counseling offered by the Dept. of ED.

Click Here to complete the PLUS Loan Application, PLUS Loan Master Promissory Note, Entrance Counseling, or PLUS Counseling.

Click Here for more information.


***Graduate PLUS Loans for the 19/20 Award Year are now available***

Private Loans

Private/Alternative Loans


Private loans are available to students who do not qualify for Federal loans or need additional aid.  The following link has a list of lenders that have provided excellent customer service and benefits designed to meet the needs of students.  Please visit each lenders website to learn more about their features and benefits. 

Click Here for CBU's established lenders

Check out the competitive rates compared to the Federal Direct PLUS Loan.


***Private Loans for the 19/20 Award Year are now available***

Loan FAQs

Loan FAQs
Do I have to pay the interest on an unsubsidized Stafford loan while I am in school?
No, you do not have to pay any interest while you are in school. However, you may choose to make payments in an effort to keep the interest down. When you leave school, the accrued interest on the unsubsidized loans will be capitalized (added to the principal). You will then pay interest on the interest that has been capitalized. 
Why don't I see my loans posted to my account on my expected disbursement date?
The Department of Education authorizes loan delivery approximately two business days after the expected loan disbursement. If you are a first time borrower, please insure you have completed a MPN and Entrance Counseling with Loans are certified once all documents have been received and reviewed. 
How soon can I expect a refund?
If your loans create a credit balance, contact Student Accounts to see when they send out refund checks.

Withdrawal from the university (all classes) during any semester, whether official or unofficial, may require the return of federal and state financial aid.

A calculation will be performed to determine the amount, if any, of the Title IV aid (Pell Grant, FSEOG, Direct Loans, Perkins Loans, PLUS Loans) earned by the student for the days in which he/she attended, up to the date of withdrawal. The student is responsible for any balance owed to the university.

In order to complete an official withdrawal, a student needs to complete a Petition to Withdraw available in Enrollment Services. Ceasing to attend class without proper notification to the university will result in an unofficial withdrawal. A calculation will still be performed to determine aid earned and some aid may be returned.

More details can be found here

There was an error fetching the available financial aid.
You are not authorized to use this portlet; It is only available to users in certain roles within the portal.

FAFSA - Free Application for Federal Student Aid

CBU school code: 001125

    • The FAFSA is required for federal and state aid.  You need to complete a new/renewal FAFSA each academic year. To fill out the FAFSA, you will your demographic & financial information.
    • The FAFSA will produce an EFC (Expected Family Contribution) number. Your EFC is not the amount of money your family will have to pay for college, nor is it the amount of federal student aid you will receive. It is a number used by CBU to calculate how much financial aid you are eligible to receive.
    • If you are selected for verification, you will need to submit additional demographic & financial information to CBU.  This will be done through "Verify My FAFSA" online. Verification is intended to improve the accuracy of the information submitted on the FAFSA.


Click Here to complete the FAFSA

Click Here for more information on the EFC

Click Here to complete verification online

1. Financial Aid Overview

2. Financial Aid Myths

3. Dependent vs. Independent


Moving From Undergrad to Grad during the school year

If you are graduating with your bachelors degree and are moving to a Graduate Program in the Spring semester, there are some changes to your FAFSA that need to be made:

    • Question #29 "What will your grade level be when you begin the 2018-2019 school year?"

        • Answer - "1st year graduate/professional"
    • Question #48 "At the beginning of the 2018-2019 school year, will you be working on a master's or doctorate program (such as an MA, MBA, MD, JD, PhD, EdD, graduate certificate, etc.)?"

        • Answer - "Yes"

If you are graduating with your bachelors degree and are moving to a Teaching Credential ONLY in the Spring semester:

    • Question #29 "What will your grade level be when you begin the 2018-2019 school year?"

        • Answer - "5th year/other undergraduate"
Financial Aid Office
8432 Magnolia Ave, Riverside, CA 92504
Phone: (951) 343-4236
You may scan your documents and email them to
Office Hours
Monday - Thursday 8:00 am to 6:00 pm
Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
Please call the office to schedule an appointment so we can best serve you.
The Financial Aid Office is located in the Horn Academic Wing of the Eugene and Billie Yeager Center, in room B123.
Please Direct Your General Financial Aid Questions to:
OR contact your graduate financial aid counselor:
Counselor, Graduate Main Campus, A-K
Counselor, Graduate Main Campus, L-Z
Assistant Director of Financial Aid, Graduate Online
Rosaria Lawrie
Counselor, Graduate Online
Stephanie Bitanga
Counselor, Graduate Online
Karen Davidson
Counselor, Graduate Online

Credential Program vs Master's Program Financial Aid


1)    Post Bachelor’s Degree students and Non-Master’s degree students who only want the credential and do not want to be enrolled in the Master’s Program:

  • Receive undergraduate level loans up to: $5,500 subsidized and $7,000 unsubsidized (depending on eligibility)
  • Parent PLUS Loan (eligibility based students dependency status and credit decision)
  • Pell Grant (only for those going through an initial credential)
  • Cal Grant for Teaching Credential (must have received CAL Grant as an undergrad)

2)    Master’s Degree students in a graduate program with or without Teaching Certification:

  • Unsubsidized loans: $20,500 unsubsidized loan/year
  • Grad PLUS Loan (eligibility based on credit check)
  • CAL Grant (if you qualify)