SAP Appeals are due each semester by the drop deadline for that semester. If submitting an appeal for second session courses within a semester the appeal can be turned in up to the drop deadline for the second session. If your appeal is submitted after this date there is no guarantee that the SAP Committee will review your appeal for the current semester. 

In compliance with federal guidelines, CBU implements these Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards. These measures ensure that students receiving financial aid are on a clear path to graduation. If students do not adhere to these standards, their financial aid eligibility will be suspended until they meet the specified requirements. Those requirements are below:
Undergraduate Students must maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0.
Graduate Students must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0.
All students must complete at least 67% of the units they attempt.
All students must complete their degree before 150% of the published program length.
All students' records (traditional, online, and graduate) are measured at the end of the Spring semester to ensure that students have the appropriate minimum cumulative GPA and completion rates above. If a student does not meet SAP requirements, these are the possible outcomes:
Financial Aid Suspension: Should a student fail to maintain the required standards, they will not longer be eligible for financial aid. While students are encouraged to exercise their right to appeal, financial support will remain paused until a comprehensive appeal is submitted and subsequently approved. Please note, there's a possibility that the SAP appeal may be denied, resulting in continued financial aid suspension. All SAP appeal outcomes, whether approved or denied, will be communicated to the student through Lancermail.
Financial Aid Probation: Upon approval of their SAP appeal, the student will enter a Financial Aid Probationary period. During this phase, they'll regain financial aid support for an additional semester. To continue receiving aid beyond that, they must consistently meet the SAP requirements. Failing to do so will result in a suspension of future financial assistance. However, students retain the option to submit another appeal if necessary.

Click Here to log into your Student Forms account to complete your SAP Appeal.

Policies and Procedures

Title Description File type

Please meet with your Academic Advisor to complete this plan. Once completed, upload it to the Student Forms portal for review.


What is SAP?

Federal regulations require California Baptist University to establish, publish, and apply standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) for financial aid eligibility. The purpose of measuring and enforcing these standards is to ensure financial aid recipients’ progress towards graduation. Students who fail to meet the satisfactory academic progress requirements become ineligible to receive financial aid until they are in compliance with these requirements.

How do I appeal?

Submit your appeal through CBU's Student Forms website. 
A complete appeal consists of the following:
1. SAP Request Form that includes your statement of any extenuating circumstances, your plan of action to resolve the cause for the circumstance, and your signature and date. 
2. Supporting Documentation - This may be but is not limited to doctors’ letters or bills, death certificate, obituary, or college transcripts (for showing progress and improvement)
3. Academic Plan Completed with Your Student Success Coach - This must include your expected graduation term, course numbers, and number of units for each semester. The plan must be signed by your Student Success Coach. It is your responsibility to communicate with your Student Success Coach to complete your academic plan.
Click Here to see a detailed handout explaining the appeal process.

What is an Academic Plan?

An Academic Plan must be completed with the assistance of your Student Success Coach and submitted along with your SAP Appeal. Should the appeal be approved, it is important that the Academic Plan be realistic as the ability to adhere to the plan will be closely monitored. Failure to follow the courses and units outlined may be used as a basis for future denial of financial aid.

How soon will I hear about my appeal?

Appeals are reviewed by the Satisfactory Academic Progress Committee on a regular basis, typically weekly. You will be notified via Lancermail of the decision made on your appeal shortly after the hearing.

What if my appeal is denied?

If your appeal is not approved, you will receive information regarding other alternatives available to you. Some options include:

1. Continuing enrollment at CBU without any financial aid assistance.

2. Continuing enrollment at CBU with the assistance of private loans.

3. Taking a leave of absence from CBU to make up a portion or all of the deficient units at a Community College. In this case, a student will have to file an additional appeal to have aid reinstated once s/he has completed the required units and demonstrated the ability to continue at CBU without incurring any additional deficiencies. The Financial Aid Office recommends that the student speak with their Student Success Coach to ensure that any classes taken elsewhere will count towards the student's area of study.

I received a termination letter, but have had a grade change. What do I do?

You still must submit a SAP Appeal to the Financial Aid Office. Please include supporting documentation regarding the grade change in your appeal (i.e. your transcript or a grade report showing the change).

I received a warning letter stating I have 1 or 2 terms of eligibility remaining. What does that mean?

Of the 12 full-time equivalent semesters allowed for undergraduate financial aid eligibility, you have completed 10 or 11 respectively. Please make an appointment with your Student Success Coach to determine what courses are still outstanding in your program of study.
After your eligibility has expired you have options of private loans or a payment plan to cover your outstanding courses.

How is the 12 semester limit determined?

The federal government states that for an undergraduate program the time frame for aid eligibility cannot exceed 150% of the published length of the program. 150% of a four-year program would allow 6 years of eligibility, or 12 full-time semesters. CBU does not offer a mandatory fifth year program. Additionally, an undergraduate course of study at CBU requires 124 units; 150% of the program would be a total of 186 attempted units. Eligibility of aid will cease when a student reaches either of these 150% marks.

Where would I have seen the information regarding SAP?

The Satisfactory Academic Policy is listed in the undergraduate catalog and the graduate catalog in the Financial Aid section.  The policy is also listed on the Financial Aid tab of InsideCBU.