You will receive a graduation evaluation and a candidacy letter sent to your LancerMail Account or the email address listed on your application if you are not a current CBU student.
If you have questions about your evaluation or if you were denied candidacy, please contact the Degree and Records Analyst who completed the evaluation. Their number and email address can be found at the bottom of your graduation evaluation and on your candidacy letter.
Failure to complete degree requirements by the designated posting date may require re-application and an additional fee will be assessed. (University Catalog)

Graduation Ceremony


Closer to the graduation date, you will receive additional information from the Office of University Commencements. The exit process is completed on line through the commencement website. Information about the commencement ceremony and the exit process can be found online at


Commencement Participation:

Students participate in the Commencement related to their expected degree posting date as approved through the graduation application process.




Graduation Check List

Complete at least 124 semester units of credit, at least 39 of which must be upper division (300 level and 400 level courses)

ü Complete at least 36 units in residence at CBU, at least 30 of which must be upper division (300 level and 400 level course)
ü Earn a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 overall with no grade below C- in the major field of study

ü Complete all general education requirements

ü Complete all coursework in a major as selected from the University Catalog
ü Complete all coursework for minor or concentration, if applicable

ü Complete a graduation application for planned graduation date

ü Satisfy all financial obligations

Be in good academic standing (not suspended or academically disqualified) at the time of completion
Q: When should I apply for graduation?
A: The sooner the better! You will want to apply for the posting date you will have all requirements completed by. You should apply for graduation as soon as possible once the application for your posting date is available. 
Q: I'm not participating in the ceremony, do I still need to apply?
A: YES! You are applying to post your degree. In order to pick up your diploma you must apply for graduation!
Q: What commencement ceremony will I participate in?
A: Students who are posting their degree in December will participate in the Fall Commencement. Students who are posting their degree in May will participate in the Spring Commencement. Students who are posting their degree in August will participate in the Summer Commencement.
Q: I've already walked in a ceremony, but I didn't post my degree. Do I need to reapply if I'm not walking in another ceremony?
A: Yes, the application is for posting your degree.
Q: My application has been denied. What do I do?
A: Your application was denied because there were too many outstanding requirements that were unaccounted for. Please send an email to your Degree and Records Analyst who completed your evaluation and explain how every outstanding requirement will be completed by your intended posting date. Our office will then re-evaluate your file for graduation.
Q: If I finish my degree mid-semester, when will my degree post?
A: CBU has three posting dates during a graduation cycle and degrees are only posted on those dates. As long as you have applied for graduation, your degree will post on the next posting date following the completion of your coursework.
Q: When will my graduation fee be billed to my Student Account?
A: Your account will be billed the graduation fee after your graduation application has been approved.
Q: I do not plan on walking in a ceremony. Will the graduation fee still be billed to my Student Account?
A: Yes. The fee is the same for every student regardless of whether or not he/she decides to walk in a ceremony.
Q: I am filling out my graduation application and it asks for my outstanding coursework. What should I put there?
A: Please list any courses that you are not currently enrolled in at CBU that you need to take to finish up your degree requirements. This includes any courses to be transferred from another institution.
Q: Do I have to put my full legal name on my diploma?
No. You can choose to include your middle name or maiden name.
Q: When will my diploma be available?
A: Diplomas will be mailed to the address provided on the graduation application approximately 6-8 weeks after the posting date as long as you are cleared by both the Student Accounts and Financial Aid Offices.
Q: Am I able to order a second diploma?
A: You may order a second copy of your diploma by completing the Diploma Re-Order form and paying the $50 diploma re-order fee. Processing takes approximately twelve weeks. Please contact the Office of the University Registrar for additional information and/or the Diploma Re-Order form.
Q: I'm taking courses at another institution. When do my official transcripts need to be received by CBU?
A: Transcripts need to received in the Enrollment Services Office by approximately the 3rd Friday after the posting date. Please contact the Office of the University Registrar for the exact deadline for your posting date.
General Education
The General Education curriculum consists of 40-55 units of coursework designed to provide the student with a strong and diverse academic preparation.  In keeping with the ideal of a liberal arts education, the general education curriculum provides students with a broad exposure to the world of ideas and the arts to secure a foundation for students to successfully move into their major of study.  In addition, a decidedly Christian perspective is integrated into the requirements and afford the student an opportunity to develop a Christian worldview. (University Catalog)
Majors and Minors
Though a minimum of 39 upper-division units are required for graduation, some majors require less than 39 upper-division units. The additional upper-division units may be taken in the student’s major field or in other academic areas. A student may qualify for a minor by using these additional units to meet the requirements for a minor in the field of choice. Coursework for credit toward a major, minor, or emphasis must be passed with a minimum grade of C- and an overall average in the major or minor of 2.0 or higher. Certain disciplines may require a minimum grade of C (2.0) in the lower-division prerequisites also.     (University Catalog)

A number of electives may be taken from the regular university courses offered in each department. Students should plan carefully and complete their required work first. Failure to do this may cause students to take more than 124 semester units in order to graduate. (University Catalog)

Work in Residence
Students are required to complete 36 units in residence at California Baptist University. Of the 39 upper-division units required for graduation, at least 30 upper-division units must be taken in residence. (University Catalog)

Upper Division
Upper division requirements for graduation can only be fulfilled with courses at the 300 and 400 (Junior and Senior) level. Of the 39 upper-division units required for graduation, at least 30 upper-division units must be taken in residence. Lower division units cannot be used to fulfill upper division unit requirements. Upper division requirements that are varianced must be replaced by upper division electives. Students seeking substitutions and exemptions must submit an Academic Variance Form to the Office of the Registrar for approval. (University Catalog)